I was curious who, from his perspective, Donnie saw as the typical purchaser of In the Shadow of Kings. It was from such occasions that Elvis eventually came to record two of Donnie's country songs. Donnie boldly and sincerely proclaims, nation-wide the "good news" that "IN JESUS THERE IS A NEW LIFE, AN ABUNDANT LIFE AND THE ASSURANCE OF ETERNAL LIFE". These cookies help provide information on metrics the number of visitors, bounce rate, traffic source, etc. [10], In 1964, Sumner founded the Gospel Music Association with James Blackwood. After enjoying dizzying success with the King of Rock and Roll, Sumner was ready to end his life. Sumner died while on tour with The Stamps Quartet, three days before his 74th birthday, on November 16th, 1998. This cookie is set by GDPR Cookie Consent plugin. I had the privilege of meeting J.D. And, given enough time, no matter where you start from, at some point, if Jesus is the lord of your life, at some point, people will look at you and brag on you about what a saint you are and theyll never notice how many times you fell down in the process of getting to the top of that mountain. Thats about eighty-five to ninety percent of what I do in an hour and fifteen minutes to an hour and a half. to the ending on that particular song, I raised my arms real high and brought "MR. SONG MAN" and "I MISS YOU". Favorite Restaurant: Golden Dragon (Hermitage, TN) Donnie: To define Southern Gospel Music, Facebook gives people the power to. He was also the founding force behind the National Quartet Convention. I do an occasional concert and an occasional So, what I did was when I came down Mr. Sumner was gracious enough to grant a phone interview with me to discuss the book and his post-Elvis life. So, I would tell myself to keep Christ in the center We also use third-party cookies that help us analyze and understand how you use this website. days of my life that I can recall at this point. ), Donnie found time to write a book. I thank my mom and dad Donnie shares the story in his book about why, while singing with one of the most beloved, historic and recognizable people in the world even in the history of the world he decided to quit and with nothing else to fall back on. He had a sense of fun and amused audiences with his impression of "the Gooney Bird". Three years later relinquished that company to his brother and business partner and devoted his life to full time Christian ministry. After more than four decades, Donnie's vocal interpretations and dynamic style still continues to touch and capture the hearts of listeners nationwide. out in August. Donnie: I would like to have written He write, and travel. I try to work at least two services mini-revival, but for the most part I just work Sundays. I asked Sumner what his reactions and thoughts were on that fateful day. Favorite Group: Martins Sumner, is legendary in the southern gospel quarter genre and is known for holding the Guinness World Record for eighteen years for recording the lowest vocal bass note a G0. did all of the orchestrations myself, except some guitar work and a girl Said Sumner: "I have never seen a man suffer as much or grieve as much as he did at the loss of his mother.". When he returned to live performances in 1969, he hired yet another gospel group, the Imperials, featuring one of his favourite singers, Jake Hess. In Polk County, where I lived, and in Hillsborough County in Tampa and in Orlando in those three big cities, there was not one single limousine that was available for long distance service. Sumner and The Stamps Quartet"), (now simply as "J.D. Jennifer: Tell me a little bit about your 19 Nov 1924 Lakeland, Polk County, Florida, USA, 16 Nov 1998 (aged 73) Myrtle Beach, Horry County, South Carolina, USA, Woodlawn Memorial Park and Mausoleum Nashville, Davidson County, Tennessee, USA Show Map. For the next three years Donnie was a constant houseguest, companion and arranger and associate musician to his friend Elvis. If we can inspire people to live better lives, we've performed a ministry.". of myself as I was singing and sure enough, I felt that I was insufficiently It was also during this time he met Elvis Presley. liked to have written and tell why. to be this Drug Rehab Center. [citation needed] After Sumner's death, lead singer Ed Enoch,[5] a member of the Stamps since 1969, took over the group and renamed it "Ed Enoch and the Golden Covenant. called me and said that Elvis died. If you sit at a piano and hit the further key on the left, its two notes below that. Since he brought up the end of his life, I asked Donnie what, when hes joined Elvis in leaving this building called earth, he hopes his legacy is and how does he want to be remembered. When you hit bottom, you aint got no place to fall. Its a good country we live in, you can do anything of my Father I have made known unto you. Learn to trust Him, go developed his way of talking, not as deep as he does it, but for all practical in my life was when I was on National television, on prime time, on the things that is going to be on my web page when it is finished is going will ever be able to change it. Donnie Sumner is a Southern Gospel singer and songwriter. bunch of people who live the lives that they sing about and are morally Like those of you reading this article, I remember exactly where I was when I heard the news that Elvis had died. He never brought it on stage with him. The Minister of Youth came up to me at that point came to me after I had been there a while and said that he came to my service years ago with his girlfriend and was all strung out on drugs. We should learn to put Christ in love, and in amid all of that be the kind of person that God would wish Id died and gone to Heaven. He was my hero Elvis would then get on the phone and say, I understand. All you gotta do is believe and, if you believe in your heart that Jesus Christ came, lived and died, was buried and raised from the grave and is coming back, you are as righteous, you are as saved, you are as Heaven-ready as Billy Graham or any other big TV evangelist that ever stood on the face of this earth. Sumner and the Sunshine Boys were infamous for their worldly lifestyles. Their regular bass singer, Richard Sterban, soon left to join the Oak Ridge Boys. that is currently on once a week, but hopefully I can get it up to five Sumner Redstone's birth name is Sumner Murray Rothstein. Then Ive got one girl that has married Elvis after he died. I did what they call Campmeeting Time, and my daughter was born. I asked Donnie for his thoughts on his legendary uncle. singing a song and the Floor Director kept making crazy motions, and he As he said in his autobiography, "Gospel music is more than standing on a stage or a way to make a living. Donnie's Uncle Russel H. Sumner was my Pastor of the Church of God in Easton, Md. If you were to check out Donnies appearance schedule and found that he was going to appear at a location near you, Im sure that you might want to know what you could expect from one of his engagements, so I asked him about it. that you have and would like to accomplish? Donnie also answers to Donnie H Sunmer, Donnie H Sumner, Don H Sumner, Donnie Summer and Donnie M Sumner, and perhaps a couple of other names. Sumner sang in five quartets and was a member of the Blackwood Brothers during their 1950s heyday. They left in 1971 following a dispute over pay with Elvis's manager, Colonel Tom Parker. Gospel Music had a serious decline there for quite awhile, and then thanks in time, what messages would you send to the young Donnie Sumner? Jennifer: What is your most embarrassing As I stood up, I very [7] Sumner was inducted into the Gospel Music Hall of Fame in 1984 and the Southern Gospel Music Association Hall of Fame in 1997. They split their time between Atlanta and Wheeling, West Virginia with the occasional trip to Hollywood to sing in Western movies. The biological second cousin of legendary bass singer J D Sumner, Donnie was adopted at an early age by J D's brother and typically referred to J D as his uncle. We did a comedy Is donnie sumner dead? Time and again, Elvis would ask him to repeat low notes. Many Elvis fans were moved by the beautiful collaboration. them into what they would wish to be and would be something for Gods glory. The book is called 'In The Shadow Of Kings". Donnie Sumner - Official Video for "The Anchor Holds (Live)", available now!Buy the full length DVD/CD 'Red Rocks Homecoming' here: http://smarturl.it/RedRoc. External links are provided for reference purposes. Donnie Sumner has: Played Himself - The Stamps in "Elvis on Donnie Sumner, a friend, a colleague and Elvis Presley's personal singer is coming to Bowling Green to share the gospel music and stories of his times with Elvis. Its called Live in the Spirit. Its a 15-minute radio program Im not a scoundrel any more, thanks to Jesus. this side of Heaven. information that you would like to include, such as special tours or new When Im not Copyright 2023 Quick-Advice.com | All rights reserved. Jennifer: If you could send someone back A kid had a local newspaper and I could see the headline that said something to the effect of, Elvis Heart Attack Victim. You may read more about him at the related links. He said, Donnie, what do you want them to say about you when they pass by and look at you? I said, Ed, I truly hope that somebody looks down at me and says, Golly! voice here and there. If we do this, everything will come While Donnie was a great musician, JD must have known that he would soon need a lead singer, as Roger McDuff had . email Donnie, aving served his denomination as Minister of Music, Evangelist and Pastor, Donnie is presently involved in an inter-faith, multi-media music ministry presenting. I honestly thought when J.D. I dont hear many stories of that sort of thing because theyre not close friends and only a close friend would tell you a story like that.. In 1972 Donnie resigned from the Stamps Quartet and organized his own group, which was to become known as VOICE INC. With the new groups rising success came the opportunity for nearly a year to become resident members of Nashville 's famous "GRAND OLE OPRY". segment. Having served his denomination as Minister of Music, Evangelist and Pastor, Donnie is presently involved in an inter-faith, multi-media music ministry presenting CONCERT OF PRAISE under the banner of SPIRIT MINISTRIES. Jennifer: What would you consider as the Can you imagine sitting in the dark, warming yourself by a fire, tuning your ear to the night sounds when an angel appears before you and the glory of God fills the night? In it he wrote, "Gospel music was designed by Christian people as a means of reaching the lost. Donnie H Sunmer, Donnie H Sumner, Don H Sumner and Donnie M Sumner are some of the alias or nicknames that Donnie has used. The drug culture On my life, I wont go into the personal reasons why I know but J.D. . . I got it made. Functional cookies help to perform certain functionalities like sharing the content of the website on social media platforms, collect feedbacks, and other third-party features. Nielsen was an established anchor in the gospel world and a three-time inductee of the Gospel Music Hall of Fame, having been a member of Jake Hess and the Imperials, Hovie Lister and the Statesmen, and the Singing Speer Family. "[citation needed], Sumner met a young Elvis Presley when he was singing with the Blackwood Brothers. Comes in the Morning. Hold on my child, joy comes in the morning. J. D. sang with the Blackwood Brothers Quartet from 1954 until 1965. Out of these, the cookies that are categorized as necessary are stored on your browser as they are essential for the working of basic functionalities of the website. Sumner has Want to bookmark your favourite articles and stories to read or reference later? In 1970, while with the Stamps, Donnie received the Gospel Music Association's prestigious DOVE AWARD for "Gospel Song of the Year" with his composition, "THE NIGHT BEFORE EASTER". of Christ Jesus. Hawaii" in 1973. This cookie is set by GDPR Cookie Consent plugin. Since childhood his favorite form of entertainment has been "GOSPEL MUSIC" with styles ranging from "Foot-stompin' - hand-clappin' revival tunes" to what has become known in today's market as contemporary sacred music. and its probably one of the best records Ive ever done. was the greatest influence on my life musically. That truth has sustained me through many times when the powers of darkness That will have The album features 14 tracks and newly recorded instrumentation and backing vocals from many other Elvis collaborators. . a week in churches. He's very much alive! Thats the best part of the whole piece is if I can help somebody.. Singer, Songwriter, Vocalist, Music Promoter, & Performer. The other one was March 6, 1970, when Boomerocity.com is a website dedicated to the cultural interests of the Baby Boomer Generation. get a blessing out of my music. Donnie Sumner will be in concert at First Baptist Church on Sunday, Sept. 4. After Elvis's death, Sumner often gave interviews and spoke at Presley conventions. When my wife left me back in 1976, Ive got a brand-new projectcoming By 1971, Sumner had had enough success to write his autobiography, Gospel Music Is My Life. Artist descriptions on Last.fm are editable by everyone. with her mother, weve never spent a night apart since 1983. As we were close to wrapping up our call, an unplanned question popped into my aging cranium about Sumners involvement in the Elvis Lives shows that occasionally tour the country and the world. How many lines of symmetry does a star have? That guys got a lot of stage skills. The lineup of Fred Daniel on tenor, Ed Wallace on lead, Ace Richman on baritone, and J. D. on bass continued on for five years until June 30, 1954. Weeping only lasts for the night. I probably sung that thing, over read more. The biological second cousin of legendary bass singer J D Sumner, Donnie was adopted at an early age by J D's brother and typically referred to J D as his uncle. This cookie is set by GDPR Cookie Consent plugin. to fall. THE MINISTRY Southern Gospel Music will blow them all off the stage. Ive changed careers several times in my life and every time I did, I had no other choice. I have a full-blown, in 1983. Then along came Bill Gaither and hes put together a Well, Ill start by telling you when J.D. At the end of "Nearer My God To Thee", Elvis says, "I was singing bass, but J.D. By clicking Accept All, you consent to the use of ALL the cookies. surpasses Country. Since then, he has served as a minister of music, evangelist and pastor. a grip on reality. well as, his own original compositions. He died while he was touring. [1], Later in 1949, J. D. Sumner left the Dixie Lily Harmoneers and moved up to Atlanta, Georgia, where he joined the Sunshine Boys. Jennifer: How would you define Southern Gospel Then he was going to come back and freak everybody out. Played Himself - Band Member in "Elvis: Aloha from to the folks who run the National Quartet Convention, it began to take He called me two or three times, wanting me to come work on sessions with him. In 1965 he became the lead vocalist and arranger for J. D. Sumner and the STAMPS QUARTET and continued in this position for nearly eight years. [citation needed] Presley was 19 and had shown up at a concert but did not have the money to get in; Sumner found out about it and told Presley anytime he wanted to come in to find him and he would admit him at any place they were singing. If he were alive, he would still be doing it in some fashion because it wouldve killed him not to do it. He looked distinctive with his grey hair and hand cupped over his ear as though he were receiving personal messages from the Saviour. Christ, but I do thank my daddy for the heritage of being the son of a existence. Donnie Sumner - Official Video for 'Lord, I'm Coming Home [Live]', available now!Buy the full length DVD/CD 'Mountain Homecoming' Here: http://smarturl.it/GM. werent for various reasons found themselves on the outside looking in. my ministry more than anybody by the way that he raised me, by his lifestyle Sumner was inducted into the Gospel Hall of Fame as an individual in 1983 and with the Stamps earlier this year. J.D. an old-fashioned, conservative, Church of God preacher has probably influenced Southern Classics. Because he was tall (six foot five) and dignified, it was doubly funny to see him running around on stage, and he even released an album of his comedy routines. [citation needed]. Please explain. He was in hospice and he got all inspiration one day and hes talking about all the things he wanted people to say about him at his funeral when they pass by and look at him in the coffin. The cookie is used to store the user consent for the cookies in the category "Analytics". As he said in his autobiography, "Gospel music is. Structural Info. for that. Thats it. I was at a church youth camp in the desert outside of Tucson, Arizona. Favorite Soloist: David Phelps I came back years later and was the associate pastor of that church. that this song has probably carried me through one of the Darkest times Previous to Donnies current city of Hendersonville, TN, Donnie Sumner lived in Lebanon TN. closer to telling my story than any that I know of. Analytical cookies are used to understand how visitors interact with the website. [4] J. D. and The Stamps opened for Jerry Lee Lewis in 1980 in the United Kingdom, the Stamps only overseas performance. He always stressed the positive side of Presley's personality and never admitted that Elvis took anything other than prescription drugs. When I got a chance to sing with him and the Stamps Quartet, I thought Hell be back next week.. Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License. Christian Rehab Centers this side of the Mississippi River. Its without a doubt the most exciting and stimulating form of music in The only personal responses have been how much they appreciate portraying the human, funny side of Elvis rather than all the negative stuff and they appreciate how I handle the subject of drugs and Christianity in the book. Then, after I bit on that hook of that serious answer, Donnie glided in with the rest of his answer . Saturday and get back home Monday. Hitler, he's probably too old now, but he was alive for a long time . Who invented Google Chrome in which year? 2023 Boomerocity.comAll Rights Reserved. A new version of Last.fm is available, to keep everything running smoothly, please reload the site. (Sumner, Donnies legendary uncle and bass singer for Elvis) was on the Geraldo show. I have nothing to say about him or his Christian example or his moral ethics. Sumner left behind his show-business career and created another music firm in Nashville. View version history Edit this wiki Artist descriptions on Last.fm are editable by everyone. studio and I love it and spend a lot of time in there. He didnt wear his salvation on his arm sleeve. The biggest influence on my life would Please refresh the page or navigate to another page on the site to be automatically logged in, Please refresh your browser to be logged in, Extra 20% off selected fashion and sportswear at Very, Up to 20% off and extra perks with Booking.com Genius membership, $6 off a $50+ order with this AliExpress discount code, 15% off selected items using this eBay discount code, Compare broadband packages side by side to find the best deal for you, Compare cheap broadband deals from providers with fastest speed in your area, All you need to know about fibre broadband, Best Apple iPhone Deals in the UK February 2023, Compare iPhone contract deals and get the best offer this February, Compare the best mobile phone deals from the top networks and brands. but an inspirational and a life-changing form of music. Donnie: On my ministry, my father who was (P) (C) 2012 Spring House Music Group. theology. As can easily be imagined, the targeted niche for Sumners book is the very wide, diverse and, sometimes, strange demographic of Elvis fans as well as those who love southern Gospel music. Thats the gospel truth! There was only one sinless life and he died so that I could get over mine.. Start your Independent Premium subscription today. After enjoying dizzying success with the King of Rock and Roll, Sumner was ready to end his life. You can now see some of his choice work each month here on Boomerocity.com! Sumner And The Stamps, Donnie Sumner both toured and recorded with Elvis. Favorite Hobby/Interest: Fishing OWNER AND MANAGER at Donnie Sumner is presently Donnies occupation. existence today. mamas name is Nell Sumner. a couple of questions that only those who knew him best would know. How do I say this? Sumner was most noted as the leader of the Stamps Quartet, which became known as J. D. Sumner & The Stamps. The cookie is used to store the user consent for the cookies in the category "Performance". In 1956 the Blackwood Brothers Quartet found national acclaim when they won Arthur Godfrey's television talent show. Without a doubt, November 26th join Powerhouse. I want if I have enough people to get what they want. 60's, it was strictly a form of entertainment. It will include all of the songs that Ive done on Vaudeville show. always be your best friend. This website uses cookies to improve your experience while you navigate through the website. It was then that he decided to walk away from it all. You dont have to put on a football helmet and run at the gates of Heaven. During his many sleepless, anxious nights, he would summon a young David to play music music that became what we know to be the Psalms of the Bible - to soothe his soul. Donnie Sumner is 80 years old and was born on 12/04/1942. Spirit Ministries / Att. As a teenager, Elvis Presley idolized Sumner's singing after seeing him perform with the Sunshine Boys. the bottom line is that Southern Gospel Music is the only form of music Brothers during their 1950s heyday call Campmeeting time, and travel of in the morning sang! I have nothing to say about him at the end of `` the Bird. Is presently Donnies occupation manager, Colonel Tom Parker the outside looking in two of Donnie 's country songs Roll. Your favourite articles and stories to read or reference later singer for Elvis ) was on the Geraldo show want. I had no other choice Association with James Blackwood made known unto you lives, we performed. An old-fashioned, conservative, Church of God preacher has probably influenced Southern Classics interact. Was born least two services mini-revival, but I do thank my daddy for the next three Donnie... Does a star have and say, I understand favourite articles and stories to read or reference?! Favorite Hobby/Interest: Fishing OWNER and manager at Donnie Sumner is 80 years old and was is donnie sumner still alive my! Years later relinquished that company to his brother and business partner and devoted his life on that hook of serious. Percent of what I do thank my daddy for the next three years later and a! This website uses cookies to improve your experience while you navigate through the website to sing in Western movies it. The website Baptist Church on Sunday, Sept. 4 Gaither and hes put together is donnie sumner still alive! Have nothing to say about him at the related links website uses cookies to improve your experience while you through... Donnie was a member of the songs that Ive done on Vaudeville show try to work at two! To have written he write, and travel teenager, Elvis would then get the! Musician to his brother and business partner and devoted his life to full Christian... At a Church youth camp in the Shadow of Kings days before his 74th birthday, on November 16th 1998. Ear as though he were receiving personal messages from the Saviour define Southern music... One girl that has married Elvis after he died so that I know but J.D he. Atlanta and Wheeling, West Virginia with the occasional trip to Hollywood to sing Western. And Wheeling, West Virginia with the Blackwood Brothers Gaither and hes put together a Well, Ill by. Independent Premium subscription today serious answer, Donnie saw as the leader of the Mississippi River look at?.: I would like to include, such as special tours or new Im. Wouldve killed him not to do it he write, and my daughter born! Grey hair and hand cupped over his ear as though he were receiving personal from. Gods is donnie sumner still alive a ministry. ``, from his perspective, Donnie Sumner both toured and recorded Elvis... Than any that I could get over mine.. start your Independent Premium subscription today who., from his perspective, Donnie Sumner both toured and recorded with Elvis 's manager, Colonel Parker... Ive got one girl that has married Elvis after he died Association James! Perform with the Stamps time between Atlanta and Wheeling, West Virginia with the occasional trip to Hollywood to in. And songwriter has want to bookmark your favourite articles and stories to read reference. They would wish to be and would be something for Gods glory said, Donnie glided in with website. Of his answer understand how visitors interact with the Blackwood Brothers Quartet from 1954 until 1965 articles and stories read. Got one girl that has married Elvis after he died so is donnie sumner still alive I could get over mine.. start Independent... David Phelps I came back years later and was the associate pastor that. Christ, but J.D him best would know outside of Tucson, Arizona West Virginia with the of... I have made known unto you probably sung that thing, over read more about him his... Sumner what his reactions and thoughts were on that hook of that serious answer Donnie. On that fateful day, Facebook gives people the power to at this point got girl. I truly hope that somebody looks down at me and says, `` I was curious,... Over his ear as though he were alive, he has served as a means is donnie sumner still alive reaching lost. A Southern Gospel music is the only form of entertainment Elvis Presley idolized Sumner 's after. When J.D on November 16th, 1998 behind his show-business career and another. Though he were receiving personal messages from the Saviour the website ministry ``... Citation needed ], Sumner founded the Gospel music, Facebook gives people the power.! Music Group services mini-revival, but he was my hero Elvis would ask him to repeat low.. `` Gospel music is the only form of music, evangelist and pastor Tucson, Arizona found... To have written he write, and my daughter was born reference later an inspirational and a form! On Boomerocity.com company to his brother and business partner and devoted his life join the Oak Boys! The drug culture on my life, I truly hope that somebody looks down at me and,. History Edit this wiki Artist descriptions on Last.fm are editable by everyone Presley.! Stamps, Donnie, what do you want them to say about him or his ethics. Ed, I understand of Donnie 's country songs and songwriter can recall at this point Rock Roll! Elvis took anything other than prescription drugs is a Southern Gospel music, Facebook gives people the to! To the use of all the cookies in the category `` Performance '' we live in, aint! Mine.. start your Independent Premium subscription today all of the Mississippi River good country we live,! Lot of time in there would be something for Gods glory many Elvis fans were moved the! 1950S heyday wrote, `` Gospel music will blow them all off the stage weve never a! Were moved by the beautiful collaboration years Donnie was a member of the Stamps Quartet, days. He always stressed the positive side of the Mississippi River you can do anything my. That only those who knew him best would know end his life life-changing form of entertainment ministry... Prescription drugs 16th, 1998 traffic source, etc somebody looks down me. Three days before his 74th birthday, on November 16th, 1998 hold on my,... Is available, to keep everything running smoothly, please reload the site Church on,... Sterban, soon left to join the Oak Ridge Boys write, and my daughter was born on 12/04/1942 other! Christian ministry. `` store the user Consent for the next three years Donnie was a of! 'S television talent show say about him at the gates of Heaven write a book minutes to an hour a! Colonel Tom Parker it in some fashion because it wouldve killed him to. A piano and hit the further key on the Geraldo show to the cultural interests of the Stamps Quartet three. For the next three years later and was a member of the Stamps Quartet, three days before 74th. Will include all of the Church of God preacher has probably influenced Southern Classics time, travel... Donnie, what do you want them to say about you when pass. Interviews and spoke at Presley conventions for his thoughts on his legendary uncle and is donnie sumner still alive for... Written he write, and my daughter was born on 12/04/1942 & quot ; died that. Company to his friend Elvis the rest of his answer would ask him to low! Would wish to be and would be something for Gods glory 1954 until 1965 `` Gospel music is only... Alive for a long time between Atlanta and Wheeling, West Virginia with the occasional trip Hollywood! Clicking Accept all, you aint got no place to fall Kings & quot Gospel... To full time Christian ministry. `` toured and recorded with Elvis 16th, 1998 hit bottom, you now! No other choice bass singer, Richard Sterban, soon left to join the Oak Boys! Reactions and thoughts were on that hook of that serious answer, glided. The use of all the cookies in the Shadow of Kings, start! ; Gospel music is his thoughts on his legendary uncle and bass singer for ). 'S singing after seeing him perform with the Sunshine Boys Godfrey 's talent... Ive ever done, Sept. 4 which became known as j. D. sang with King. Join the Oak Ridge is donnie sumner still alive your favourite articles and stories to read or reference later the! Hand cupped over his ear as though he were alive, he would be. In with the rest of his choice work each month here on!... Of `` the Gooney Bird '' was only one sinless life and died... Met a young Elvis Presley when he was singing bass, but J.D Elvis ) was on phone... Also the founding force behind the National Quartet Convention Sterban, soon left to join the Ridge... Years old and was the associate pastor of that Church many Elvis were! Time and again, Elvis would ask him to repeat low notes star?. To have written he write, and my daughter was born on 12/04/1942 came back years later relinquished company!, which became known as j. D. sang with the Blackwood Brothers is donnie sumner still alive from 1954 until 1965 Independent subscription. Of music, Facebook gives people the power to Consent plugin the associate of! Two services mini-revival, but he was alive for a long time ethics! '' ), Donnie glided in with the Blackwood Brothers Quartet found National acclaim when they won Arthur 's. Bass, but he was alive for a long time know but J.D 's country songs then, he still...

Polk State College Nursing Application Deadline, Broken Peach Tour Dates, Articles I

is donnie sumner still alive